[Bf-committers] Vignette node for Blender's Compositor

Xavier Thomas xavier.thomas.1980 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 14:29:37 CET 2015

Hi, sorry if this is considered high-jacking the thread.

What do you mean by no scopes in the compositor? You can use a viewer node
and use the (fantastic :) scopes of the UV/image editor. What would you
prefer? A "scope node" that display the scope directly in it's own UI in
the node editor? That is very much possible and quite easy project for a
c/c++ developer.

I don't consider the scopes of the sequencer nice, I consider them horrible
and horribly slow; they really should be ported to openGL and reuse the
code of the image scopes. Back when I was working on this with Matt Ebb,
the plan was to drop the sequencer dedicated viewer and use the UV image
editor instead (like for compositor viewer nodes) so I did not spent time
updating the sequencer scopes. But now the plan has changed ans sequencer
viewer is here to stay :(

I agree that the compositor is not the best place to do grading and I think
the sequencer would be better. I also agree that the current state of the
sequencer make this task cumbersome at best. So what is needed really in my
opinion is a good redesign of the sequencer with grading in mind not only
NLE. This is desperately needed for almost a decade but not a high priority
target

Xavier