[Bf-committers] Vignette node for Blender's Compositor

François T. francoistarlier at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 12:36:41 CET 2015

I would second Troy on that, if you are going for a node as simple as a
vignette, try to make it as accurate as possible which can handle real AC
and could do reverse vignette, and part of this is usually linked to the
Lens model.
Going for a simple node which only do a mask or compute the length of a
vector which you could colorize is a bit overkill I presume. Then only go
with an addon and you will be fine. Your needs are far from from having a
magic bullet suite ;). Yes you will loose a bit in memory going from one
node to another, but your group is rather pretty simple.

Ton is also right, and it does open a real question about probably a
missing piece in Blender which is the Grading part. Even though we get
easily attract to the compositor to do grading, it does not have the best
design to do so. It does lacks of real time scopes and only works on a
per-shot bases. The tile base rendering is not very good also for this
since it does makes the feedback slower. (cf davinci)
While the sequencer in another hand can work in the sequence context and
have nice scopes (which could be improved), it probably miss all the
flexibility of the compositor system also.
So designing a grading space in Blender is not such a crazy idea at a
design stage. It's a huge project though.