[Bf-committers] Vignette node for Blender's Compositor

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Thu Mar 5 18:00:12 CET 2015

Hi,

The compositor was designed for a frame workflow, for rendering 3d, for combining vfx and footage into a shot. That is being done in linear color, and it's advised to keep its file output as pure as possible (floating point colors with high dynamic range).

These shots then get combined to a final edit and get a final color grade, exported to a specific color space. That is a good stage to add vignettes as well. Vignettes really should be done in display-space.

That is what the Redgiant link illustrates - it's a grader editor. Shots are the input, a film is the output.

So - if you talk about easier vignette support, we could also look at improving the sequencer to be a much more advanced and realtime grading system.

-Ton-

Chairman Blender Foundation - Producer Blender Institute