[Bf-committers] Vignette node for Blender's Compositor

Johnny Matthews johnny.matthews at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 16:11:32 CET 2015

Sure in a basic take a blurry mask and multiply it against an image, there
is not really efficiency to be gained, I was thinking on a more generic
sense of some node groups may benefit from compiler level optimization.

I think your breakdown of a possible vignette node to end all vignette
nodes, sounds great. Would we say then "Ok end users, instead of providing
you with a vignette node, we provided you with a dozen basic nodes that you
will have to build your own with, good luck!"? or would we provide them
with both?

I know the procedure of linking in libraries has already been floated in
this discussion, but the workflow is dodgy. You either have to break your
workflow to go find and append the node you want, or dump them all into
your default blend where they show up in one popup menu under add->group.

I would see a 2 part solution:

Part 1) Better organizational abilities for node groups so that they feel
more like regular nodes. Like an option of which "Node Add Menu" submenu to
put them in rather than straight into the group category.

Part 2) A set of common functions (like vignette) shipped with blender even
if they are just node groups that are put in a different submenu.

Thoughts?