[Bf-committers] Vignette node for Blender's Compositor

Troy Sobotka troy.sobotka at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 15:55:34 CET 2015

On Mar 5, 2015 6:13 AM, "Johnny Matthews" <johnny.matthews at gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh you burned me so bad there.

It wasn't intended as a burn, and I regret that you saw it as such.

The idea that a multiplication isn't complex was directed at the suggestion
that there would be “efficiencies” if coded at a more “atomic” level; a
node that merely performs a multiplication would not see such gains.

I am also curious why you discredited Mr. McSween's line of reasoning
above? If one examines industry leading tools such as Nuke, one will not
find a multiplication blur vignette node.

While this might seem a curious omission in an industrial imaging
application, we can wonder if the vignette node:
A) Does the node model the dispersion and chromatic aberration
characteristics of a lens near the periphery?
B) Does the node, when dealing with A above, manage variable primary
reference spaces correctly?
C) Does the node offer compression adaption for anamorphic or other
non-spherical lens representations?
D) Does the node offer variable density of the light occlusion?
E) Does the node adapt to the variable distortions of a lens model?

Most of these facets are unique and complex, and as such, would likely be
modeled into a more granular set of nodes, which would be welcome I am
certain. The nuances of each of these would require an understanding of
optics to model correctly, and designed to some of the standards already
relevant for a visual effects workflow.

Hopefully the depth of your knowledge can cover some of the above issues
and a more granular set of nodes is plausible.

With respect,
TJS