[Bf-committers] Fwd: [Blender Foundation] Your organization application has been rejected.

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Tue Mar 3 09:50:36 CET 2015

Hi,

Below Google's feedback.
------------------
Unfortunately, as usual we had to make a lot of hard decisions this year as we always do, and your org was one of them. We also felt that your ideas page could have used some work this year. We would like ideas pages in our preferred format http://en.flossmanuals.net/GSoCMentoring/making-your-ideas-page/ and to be a bit more fleshed out than yours was this year. I hope you'll consider applying again in a future year!

Cheers,
Carol
------------------

Our ideas page structure was copied from  2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014.
We never heard that it was not formatted correctly... OK, now we do! :)

Here's a good page outlining Google's process for selection:
http://en.flossmanuals.net/GSoCMentoring/org-application/

They try to make it clear that no org can expect to be accepted every year.
That's only fair. No hard feelings here, GSoC was always a gift, not a right.

On the GSoC mentor-org mailing list someone mentioned (two years ago) that their org skipped a GSoC once, just because they were feeling that effect was wearing off - mentors not sufficiently being motivated either. To some extent I think we have a similar effect going on... GSoC was turning into a burden as much as an opportunity for our organization. For the hardest working contributors it meant every year that their hands were tied during the summer. They now are free for other tasks - something that can also bring good things for everyone.

As for me, instead of GSoC coordination I will spend  time with the module teams on streamlining our organization to make it easier for more developers to come on board. Bug tracker duties and patch reviewing seem to eat up our energy and lust-for-coding too much as well. Too few people do too much now...

Laters,

-Ton-

Chairman Blender Foundation - Producer Blender Institute

Begin forwarded message: