[Bf-committers] Is MSVC2008 still to be supported?

Martijn Berger martijn.berger at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 16:24:21 CEST 2015

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 1:50 AM, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Does this mean we still support MSVC2012?

If you build all the libs blender still compiles with this as far as I am
aware

> Does it use the same libs as MSVC2013?

No ABI is not the same

> Seems we already dropped 2008.
> http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2014-June/043807.html
> https://developer.blender.org/D715

Yes, thx for finding that.. that is what i referred to when saying "I think
some people actually started cleaning up work-arounds for ancient MSVC"

> However its not great to have to trawl old messages to know about
> supported compilers.

Yes, that is my fault. I will look at wiki.

> Added a section in the wiki for this (OSX needs versions filled in)
>

> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Doc/Building_Blender#Compiler_Versions

I think we should also consider dropping GCC 4.2 on apple as it would
quality as the lowest common denominator and Apple seems to peruse a pretty
aggressive upgrade campaign with OS X yearly releases.