[Bf-committers] boost update for OpenVDB on Windows

Kévin Dietrich kevin.dietrich at mailoo.org
Sat Jun 13 23:32:10 CEST 2015

Le 2015-06-13 09:31, matmenu a écrit :

> Hi Antony,
>
> Thanks a lot for working toward OpenVDB on Windows. From a user POV,
> OpenVDB is really helpfull as a mesher, as a memory optimiser (cache for
> smoke, water simulation, 3D scan visualisation, etc...). It also speedup
> Cycles rendering for smoke as Kevin showed and will certainly help
> Sergey toward it's goal of reducing memory footprint.
> The community is working on it since pretty long (see this 2 years ago
> https://developer.blender.org/T35565 [1] , was already working good). I
> think the community would be really happy if you don't use this nice
> work only for Gooseberry and then grab it again for some more years, but
> instead make it available to the users. I can assure you you will make
> many people happy.
>
> Regards

Hi,

This work isn't for Gooseberry only, at least I wasn't targeting
Gooseberry when I started working on it. It was merged in the Gooseberry
branch for a few reasons:

- it's somewhat usable
- it improves cache sizes
- it _can_ result in faster rendering (this highly depends on the VDB
tree topology)
- coincidence (this could have been done a year ago, or after
Gooseberry)
- the Gooseberry team is using Linux machines, and it compiles fine on
Linux (with a few quirks and quarks dependency wise)

So yeah, it's not Gooseberry only, and any change made regarding the VDB
work in the gooseberry branch shall be ported to the openvdb branch.

Cheers,
Kévin

Links:
------