[Bf-committers] Blender performance measuring instrumentation improvement proposal

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 13:56:27 CEST 2015

Martijn, thinking of something similar to current Debug Timer operator (or
even an extension of it) which will perform some operation N times (N >=
10) and report total/average time on it. The operations could be:

- Viewport draw (which we already have)
- Full scene depsgraph evaluation
- Scene depsgraph evaluation caused by timesource changes
- Specified object evaluation
- Internal datastructures performance testing (similar to ghash performance
tests)
- More extremes, which i'm not really sure how to do in a nice way: Cycles
scene export time, Cycles BVH build time
- Some more stuff which we can define in the future.

IMO goal should be to make all those tests as reproachable as possible and
much independent from external factors as possible. That's why idea of
fps-based thing is something i consider unusable for reliable testing
(since video driver might easily ruing your day with that).

The work from Campbell about making it possible to run given code from a
command line argument is handy, but not totally crucial for performance
framework (since it could all be done in a .py file)