[Bf-committers] Is the AVI container format (or any of the codecs) which Blender uses proprietary?

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 10:54:32 CEST 2015

Hi,

There are two AVI's in Blender.

First one is Jpeg AVI which uses purely Blender's implementation [1].

Second one is via FFmpeg library. With this one we're using own builds of
FFmpeg which are configured to be GPL2 or later licensed.

[1]
https://developer.blender.org/diffusion/B/browse/master/source/blender/avi/

On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 1:48 AM, <
blender.mailbag at creativegraphicsolutions.biz> wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I have a question about the video container format and codecs which
> Blender uses.
>
> Blender Chairman, Ton Roosendaal suggested I post it here. He said, "I
> think it's a valid question, but it should be discussed and reviewed in
> public."
>
> So here it goes...
>

> Question 1:
>
> Is the AVI *container* format which Blender uses proprietary?
>
> My research suggests that Microsoft's AVI container format is based off
> of the unpatented RIFF format. Further, the U.S. Library of Congress'
> website for digital preservation indicates that Microsoft probably does
> not hold/enforce any license or patent claims on their AVI container
> format.
>
> However, a Microsoft Community web page says that a commercial software
> developer would need Microsoft's permission to include AVI container
> support.
>

> Question 2:
>
> Are any of the codecs Blender uses with the AVI container, (either for
> importing or saving) encumbered by patents or commercial licenses?
>
> Do I need to be cautious of which codecs are used when importing or
> saving if I want to create and distribute a for-profit video?
>

> RESOURCES:
>
> Planning for Library of Congress Collections - AVI Container Format
> http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/formats/fdd/fdd000059.shtml
>
> Is the AVI container format free to use for a software application?
>
> http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-pictures/is-the-avi-audio-video-interleaved-container/9866cfb1-fbab-4b1f-8ee2-a435332ce4d1?auth=1
>
> RIFF (Resource Interchange File Format)
> http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/formats/fdd/fdd000025.shtml
>
> AVI / RIFF File Specifications