[Bf-committers] Blender developers meeting notes, 26 July 2015

Kévin Dietrich kevin.dietrich at mailoo.org
Mon Jul 27 05:30:00 CEST 2015

Le 2015-07-26 17:38, Ton Roosendaal a écrit :

> - Note for Kevin Dietrich: can we get an update on how far OpenVDB is?

The code for the entire branch was put for code review a few days ago (I
think last Thursday, https://developer.blender.org/D1308) [1]. I just
updated the projects page on the wiki to point the differential revision
and my wiki page where documentations for the OpenVDB stuff is located.

There are two sides to the patch:

- Caching
The only thing which wasn't tested here is usability. As far as my tests
go, it exports/caches fine and reads back the exported/cached file.
There might be issues I'm not aware of, and that would need user
testings. I had some but it wouldn't hurt to have some more with actual
feedback. I know more people would like to test but they can't manage to
compile OpenVDB for various reasons (platform related, conflicts with
the OpenVDB library shipped with Houdini... ). In all, I consider the
code feature complete, and pretty much done (some optimizations could
also be done, but that's detail, and could happen anytime).

- Cycles
As I mentioned a week ago, we could have volume sampling, as this is
done. Accelerated ray marching (aka leap frogging empty space) is not
done: decoupled ray marching is missing (I have some code here, but it
was crashing, so I stashed it and didn't get back to it). The initial
ray intersection needs to be done better (the check to see if we have a
hit with the bbox of the volume/domain object). BUT, it would recquire a
patched version of OpenVDB and an updated Boost. Looking at it now, I
think it'd be better to wait for DWA to accept or reject my patches, and
if accepted, wait for the next version of OpenVDB (3.1). Unless it's no
trouble to use a patched version. Or we put the Cycles OpenVDB code
behind a compile flag just like OpenSubDiv is currently.

So, as said, the code for the entire branch is up for review, including
the WIP Cycles stuff to hopefully get some feedback on the direction of
the patch, but I could as well separate the Cycles part depending on
what's decided here.

> - Martijn Berger: if we add OpenVDB we also need to upgrade OpenImage and OSL. Might have consequences for the platform maintainers.

Only if what's done in Cycles is included (volume sampling).

Links:
------
[1] https://developer.blender.org/D1308)