[Bf-committers] Blender 2.8 - the Workflow release

Lukas Tönne lukas.toenne at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 18:53:06 CEST 2015

I've started writing about the development and the problems we encountered
during the Cosmos Laundromat/Gooseberry production. These documents could
be a good primer for devs who haven't done any development in a studio
environment like the Blender Institute (like myself before this project).

First is a general wiki doc summarizing all the major development and
research topics. Only the section on hair systems is fleshed out atm, the
rest will be added soon. The document is meant to give an overview and
links to scientific papers for future reference, so each topic is handled
only briefly.

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Org:Institute/Open_projects/Gooseberry/SummaryLukas

Out of all these diverse topics, the library linking system and its
implications for pipeline and asset management have been a serious
challenge. IMO the solutions we developed during the production, although
they made the movie possible, are still not satisfying. Because this has
been a problem in virtually every movie production since the invention of
open movies, i thought it would help to start at the root and write a
detailed examination. The following document is an attempt to build up the
complete picture from the basics (how movie production works) up to the
existing situation in Blender and beyond. The proposal the end is not final
(!), finding a solid solution will require all the brains we can get.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1M_sjvt65ytN7VxDSZzvu3xwUImO8BYfuVbZ527Rqxp4/edit?usp=sharing

Please excuse the shoddy formatting and unfinished state, i thought it
better to release them early than let them collect dust.

Cheers,
Lukas