[Bf-committers] Video editing in blender

Jeffrey italic.rendezvous at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 07:49:58 CEST 2015

Some of the issues with these media formats is the licensing on the
format itself. For example, you want MP3 support, but using MP3 requires
licensing from a company to use it. Blender is strictly in the GPL
branch of open source licenses (see more here:
https://www.blender.org/about/license/) and does not package software
that does not meet the same or a looser (Apache, for example) license.

On 07/01/2015 08:51 PM, Jacob Godfrey wrote:
> I use blender for video editing because for a free software it can do a
> lot. The only problem I have run across is it's supports for video codecs
> and audio codecs. The biggest being it does not support MP3. If blender
> were to allow for more common codecs, I believe it could be taken seriously
> as a video editor. I have limited knowledge in software development, but I
> believe adding this capability in a new version of blender would be easy.
> So I just wanted to know if any talented developers could make this
> possible so blender can be a very effective video editor.

Jeffrey "Italic_" Hoover