[Bf-committers] Proposal: Up blender requirements to OpenGL 2.1

Mike Erwin significant.bit at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 20:42:06 CET 2015

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 8:23 AM, brita <britalmeida at gmail.com> wrote:

> Upgrading the minimum to 2.1 does not mean that Blender does not use higher
> OpenGL features.
> It can always query for the ogl version and use the available features,
> resulting, for example, in more performance.
> There is no need of a separate build.

Should we strictly use extensions for anything newer? That would have
almost the same effect as using a higher version while making it more clear
what we support.

The question is if versions older than 2.1 can be dropped in order for
> developers not having to loose their time coding fallback methods for
> (very!) older versions.

Yes yes yes! Or not forget/neglect to code a fallback for something I
*assume* is available on a random user's system. Check for 2.1+ at startup
and so many assumptions are verified. The much smaller number of useful GL
extensions is easier to remember to check.

Mike Erwin
musician, naturalist, pixel pusher, hacker extraordinaire