[Bf-committers] About translations (i18n) contexts

Bastien Montagne montagne29 at wanadoo.fr
Sun Feb 15 12:27:47 CET 2015

Hey,

So, almost two years ago, the 'disambiguation' process of our i18n
messages was freezed
(see
http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-translations-dev/2013-March/000424.html
for details).

Since then, people who are translating Blender have been quite
frustrated, because you sometimes
cannot make a valid translation (polysemy, a same english word meaning
different things depending
on contexts).

We do have a valid way to fix that, called gettext contexts. It’s not
ideal, it’s not perfect, but:
* it is simple
* it works
* it does not need to redesign our whole UI message system!

One month ago, a TODO task (https://developer.blender.org/T43295) was
created on this subject,
with not much attention from people from UI team so far, so I’m inclined
to just resume adding
needed contexts in code. We cannot wait years for someone to redesign
from scratch our
UI messages system.

Cheers,
Bastien