[Bf-committers] Delete caches with more caution?

gandalf3 zzyxpaw at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 00:54:15 CET 2015

I've noticed that blender is a bit eager to delete cache files if it
thinks the cache is out of date. This is normally desired, but sometimes
it can be (very) annoying.

For example, I baked a smoke simulation of 100 frames. I then decided I
wanted it to go a little longer, so I freed the bake and (carefully) set
the current frame to 100, increased the cache and scene end frames, and
started appending simulation frames by playing the animation with Alt+A.

However I didn't keep a close enough eye on it. Upon reaching the end,
it jumped back to frame 1 and deleted every subsequent frame (including
the ones it had just appended).
This is quite annoying, as now I must wait for the entier thing to
re-bake (an afternoon of computation time), and it easily could have
been worse.

Are there any plans to improve the cache workflow (allow for less
"fiddly" methods of appending frames etc)?

Or could it be made so that blender only deletes the cache file for the
frame it is actively baking, and doesn't delete all the subsequent
frames straight away?

--
-gandalf3