[Bf-committers] File versionning and subversion bumps

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 21:52:28 CET 2015

Hi,

I've noticed total inconsisteny in the versioning code another day.

The rule are:

- We don't do subversion bump for minor change and do DNA_find_elem() to
see if versnioning is needed or not
- Those changes are getting accumulated in the bottom of current versioning
function (currently it's do_versions_270())
- Bigger changes in storage might do subversion bump
- Subversion (well, actually version) bump happens just before RC1
- bump in subversion or version requires moving all the versioning code
which was not in the if(!VERSION_ATLEAST) block into new block

As for the question how to process now: wait for the next subverison bump
we'll need and move all the vesioning code into it. No special "cleanup" or
so needed for that.

And i don't see need to have that block. Just something like:

void do_versions_270() {
  /* Put pending versioning code here. */
  some_msart_versioning_code();
}

On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 12:11 AM, Bastien Montagne <montagne29 at wanadoo.fr>
wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> As far as I know, each time we bump (sub) version of Blender, we should
> cleanup versionning code too, i.e. put all 'standing' versionning since
> last version bump inside a 'if (!MAIN_VERSION_ATLEAST(main, mainvar,
> subvar))' block.
>
>  From the look of current master code, this has not been done since a
> few bumps (or only partially)? I don't think we want to keep
> 'DNA_struct_elem_find()' for ever, it’s still more expansive than
> MAIN_VERSION_ATLEAST.
>
> Actually, we used to have a dedicated block to regroup all pending
> versionning code… why not just always do that (we could even directly
> put it behind a '!MAIN_VERSION_ATLEAST(main, mainvar, next_subvar)'
> block, so that all you have to do when bumping subvar is to create a
> new, empty MAIN_VERSION_ATLEAST block)? It also helps for branches, you
> know in branches your code shall always be inside that block, and that’s
> it.
>
> Cheers,
> Bastien
>
> PS: if someone knows how to properly fix current fuzzy situation… I
> would be tempted to simply put every non-versionned stuff into next
> subver block?

With best regards, Sergey Sharybin