[Bf-committers] MinGW support

Martijn Berger martijn.berger at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 09:50:22 CET 2015

On Sun, Dec 27, 2015 at 12:25 AM, Yousef Harfoush <bat3a at msn.com> wrote:

> > supporting a proper development environment requires installing visual
> > studio/Windows SDK anyway, so it sort of defeats the purpose of having an
> > "independent" compiler.
> ms is released a c++ environment without the VS IDE, it is not that big
> requirement.
>
> > Only positive thing from MinGW side as far as I know is faster cycles,
> but
> > it's been a while since I tested this. It may be better now with 2013
> > compiler?
>
> but is it not worth 40% render time reduction to support mingw, i mean
> that's is like 2 years of optimizing cycles, isn't it, i think it's better
> to drop vc12 in favor of mingw.
>
> I think the future is more likely to be clang on all platforms. To me
mingw has not been really supported for at least 3 years now, as to me a
supported platform is one that receives actual support from a developer.
For me and I think also for Anthony mingw is one of those perpetual todo
items. There are more important things to do first and that seems to stay
that way.

It is not like mingw is going to be broken an if you feel strongly about it
I would try and contribute but I do not see us gathering the resources
needed for proper support in the short term.