[Bf-committers] BMesh Booleans, ready for testing.

Mikhail Rachinskiy wellmaderice at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 11:22:24 CET 2015

Hi Campbell,

My primary specialization is jewelry design, that is why I am very depend
on quality and fast boolean operations, and I am happy to report that your
implementation of boolean tool is significantly faster than current Carve
implementation, simple boolean difference operation with two objects both
100 000 faces each computes instantly compare to several seconds with
Carve—this will greatly improve my non destructive modeling workflow.

Of course BMesh implementation does not yet handle custom data (edge
crease, materials etc.), that might explain fast execution, I hope later
you will make custom data handling optional specially for those who wants
fast boolean operation with dense meshes and doesn’t need custom data (like
me most of the time).

But I guess it never can be too good, can it? Your boolean implementation
fails every time with co-linear/co-planar geometry:
Image: http://i.imgur.com/2ZhD8rz.png
Blend file:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29760931/temp/coplanar_bmesh.blend
I can also provide you with the production scene example if you need it.

And this is very serious drawback, since I have these kind of cases quite
often, Carve implementation handles these with varying degrees of
success—fine on low poly, fails on hi poly. It would be great if you make
it work at least with low poly meshes.
But if your solution to this issue would make booleans slower (as I’m sure
it will), please make it as an option too, booleans that fast—makes me very
happy.

--
Regards,
Mikhail Rachinskiy