[Bf-committers] Blender Conference & the 2.8 project

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Thu Aug 27 22:33:27 CEST 2015

Hi everyone,

Originally I suggested to organize workshops or meetings before or after the conference (23-24-25 Oct). Currently several people already booked tickets and hotels (or they need to book now), and there's no clear agenda and planning yet...

Time goes fast, and I scheduled holidays for two weeks (next two weeks :) so I suggest to keep the plans a bit more open and relaxed for now.

What we can do is to make sure that we have enough sessions and feedback moments to map out the agenda and topics for work on Blender during the conference itself. I can also check on facilitating informal sessions the day before and after the conference.

Most importantly is to get good insight in what the current (and new!) contributors have in mind and how they like to schedule bigger development tasks. That we can spend time on together the next 8 weeks using our existing online channels.

In general I've had very enthusiastic reactions on the 'workflow' topic, it's a good moment to do this now, but it's very unclear, too early for actions or decisions. Let's take the time to get this well defined!

My rough timeline estimate would be:

Sept/October: open discussions. map out topics, renew/activate module teams
Conference: wrap up of the discussion period. define the topics.
Nov/December: designs, proposals, reviews; and decisions. Possibly workshops.

Laters,

-Ton-

Chairman Blender Foundation - Producer Blender Institute