[Bf-committers] Why is SceneRenderLayer a bpy_struct?

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 19:17:05 CEST 2015

Hi,

Not sure what's wrong with SceneRenderLayer being a struct, this totally
corresponds to what's happening in render API of Blender.

That being said, think you don't really need to extend SceneRenderLayer
structure, but want to add some custom render passes instead. There's
indeed no clean way to do it. Think the way to go would be to specify
engine-specific passes via some RenderEngineType, but this wasn't really
investigated yet and needs some design proposal ad implementation.

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 7:05 PM, Brian Savery <brian.savery at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Greetings all!  I'm the developer of the RenderMan addon for blender.  Had
> a couple questions on the api and generally was hoping to help out where I
> can.  But rather than dump them all in one thread figured I'd keep at least
> the subject lines separate.
>
> Anyway so SceneRenderLayer.  Any reason that is a struct?  Reason is that I
> want to extend it and add our own custom pass outputs (RenderMan supports
> LPE outputs similar to OSL
> https://code.google.com/p/openshadinglanguage/wiki/LightPathExpressions
> and
> we'd like users to be able to do more outputs).  Unfortunately
> SceneRenderLayer is a struct and my understanding is you can't add custom
> properties to that?
>
> The hacky solution I came up with is to keep a collection of custom outputs
> on the scene and correspond the outputs to each render layer by the name.
> Of course this has the issue that if the render layer name changes you're
> out of sync... But any thoughts on this would be appreciated.  Being able
> to extend a scene render layer seems like a good idea.
>
> Thanks!
> Brian
>

> --
> brian.savery at gmail.com