[Bf-committers] Why is SceneRenderLayer a bpy_struct?

Brian Savery brian.savery at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 19:05:39 CEST 2015

Greetings all!  I'm the developer of the RenderMan addon for blender.  Had
a couple questions on the api and generally was hoping to help out where I
can.  But rather than dump them all in one thread figured I'd keep at least
the subject lines separate.

Anyway so SceneRenderLayer.  Any reason that is a struct?  Reason is that I
want to extend it and add our own custom pass outputs (RenderMan supports
LPE outputs similar to OSL
https://code.google.com/p/openshadinglanguage/wiki/LightPathExpressions and
we'd like users to be able to do more outputs).  Unfortunately
SceneRenderLayer is a struct and my understanding is you can't add custom
properties to that?

The hacky solution I came up with is to keep a collection of custom outputs
on the scene and correspond the outputs to each render layer by the name.
Of course this has the issue that if the render layer name changes you're
out of sync... But any thoughts on this would be appreciated.  Being able
to extend a scene render layer seems like a good idea.

Thanks!
Brian

brian.savery at gmail.com
508-274-8700