[Bf-committers] Lack of coordination and communication in Blender development

Ounan Ding ounanding at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 04:55:24 CEST 2015

Hi,

If I correctly understand the topics discussed in this thread,
we are concerning how to convey design ideas to developers effectively,
and how to welcome new developers while keeping a high standards at the
same time.

For both issues mentioned above, I would suggest to enforce automatic
testings(including unit test and integration test).
(http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Source/Architecture/Automated_Testing)

As a beginner Blender developer myself,
Being able to pass testings at least can make sure my change to Blender
works(this can be seen as a minimum requirements for volunteers), and it
works with other subsystem in Blender(one may need helps from senior
developers to achieve this standard).
Besides, to be able to fit in to a testing framework it also requires a
structured implementation from a clear design.

All of these testings can happen automatically.
I think this can greatly speed up our review process.

For developers from other parts of Blender,
The testings can also convey design ideas in a more effective and stable
way than other approaches such as documentation.
A documentation may be outdated but a set of working testing cases are not.
By automating the testing,
other developers can spend more time on optimizing the artistic workflow
of a candidate commit.

I understand that enforcing testing can be a time consuming task in project.
But it may be considered for a long term plan.