[Bf-committers] Ask for advice to prepare applying Blender GSOC

Julian Eisel eiseljulian at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 00:29:25 CEST 2015

Hey Ounan,
Re: Which way is the mostly suggested to learn Blender coding in depth?
I'd recommend you to go with #2. Focusing on one part of Blender
really helps understanding how Blender works and how to navigate,
search and debug in such a big code base. From there you can expand
your knowledge step by step if you want to.
I personally (and I'm sure others disagree here) don't recommend
trying to get into Blender development by working on the bug tracker.
Easy bugs are normally closed within a short time, and l think
nowadays most bugs need to be solved by people who know the code
pretty well, since Blender has gotten really complex and a big chunk
of spaghetti-code :/ After all, trying to fix bugs can be more
de-motivating when trying to get involved than it helps. Keeping one
eye on the tracker won't hurt though ;)
So again, I'd recommend you find an area of interest and start working
on it. Check the tracker regularly for bugs you may be able to solve,
but don't loose motivation if you fail - failure is part of the
process - just continue working on something different.

One thing I also highly recommend is to read code by others. That can
be patches submitted for review (try to understand them, test them,
try to find possible issues, ...) or patches by more advanced
developers (how do they solve issues, which functions do they use, how
do they name things, how does their code style look, ...).

Interesting read:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Ideasman42/Reply_Id_Like_To_Develop_Blender

Greetings
- Julian -