[Bf-committers] OpenSubdiv status

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 14:18:00 CEST 2015

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to give a quick update on OpenSubdiv project.

It is becoming quite close to the point when we can enable it for the
buildbot builds. Mainly only technical TODOs are remained:

* Update OpenSubdiv library on the platforms (some crucial for us fixes
were merged to upstream, meaning we can now switch from my branch to
official OpenSubdiv repo).
* Make sure Blender is still compilable with OpenSubdiv enabled with CMake
and SCons.
* Enable OpenSubdiv and enjoy.

Surely there are some known limitations which we can't easily solve from
our side, but OpenSubdiv team is helping us a lot  making the stoppers
solved for us. Since OpenSubdiv became a modifier option now it should be
pretty safe (in terms, there should be no regressions for existing files
for until OpenSubdiv is explicitly enabled for some objects).

So in the next couple of days i'll be solving this last stoppers and will
enable OpenSubdiv around Thursday.

I also started to update documentation which i started working on like an
year ago or so [1]. Still some work is needed on that page, but think
majority of the information is in there.

[1] http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Nazg-gul/OpenSubdiv

--
With best regards, Sergey Sharybin