[Bf-committers] Blender developers meeting notes - August 2, 2015

Antony Riakiotakis kalast at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 00:54:51 CEST 2015

What might work is detecting if the final derived mesh has any users
outside the draw code, and if it does not then it may be possible to
use some sort of shader and do the calculation there. If it does, then
we will be needing the full result anyway, so we can just upload that
and skip the vertex shader cost. Some modifiers, such as the array
modifier can also benefit from similar code (+ instancing) but they
also need a way to detect cornercases (such as the object used as a
duplicated mesh for instance).

I must say though, I am not sure if using vertex shaders is the best
way to go, because it makes material shaders depend on modifiers which
means more shader bind calls plus materials would need a more
elaborate shader storing scheme for every material/modifier
combination. Maybe the way OpenSubdiv handles this can be generalized,
but we'll see if that's possible when/if we have full support in the
future.

Probably the depsgraph might support these kinds of queries, though
Sergey, Lukas or Joshua would know best.
The DAG should also be used to detect what mesh data need to be
reuploaded to the GPU due to some underlying mesh change
as well. Currently though, I'm still porting all mesh code to use
vertex buffer objects properly and haven't checked the depsgraph at
all.