[Bf-committers] VSE caching

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 19:50:30 CEST 2015

These are my settings and they work but they might not be the best as I do
not program these things, just use them.

As a programmer I would guess that they are separate but I have not read
the code and I did not write it.

Under User Preferences -> System -> Sequencer/clip Editor and it has
Prefetch Frames and Memory Cache Limit. Crank these up to the max that your
machine will allow. Look at a memory use display to see how your system is
acting as you play with a big film clip. I have mine set at 240 and 20480
but I have not tested it as I mostly do modeling.

In File -> Render Cache = my SSD drive. Perhaps I should make sure the rest
are on my SSD drive too?

Editing -> Global Undo Check, Steps=256 and Memory Limit 0, meaning
unlimited.

My System is build for Blender.
Linux Sabayon 64 bit running 2.74 Blender
Nvidia GTX 580  with 3072 MB
Intel I7 4770 3.40GHz (8 CPU cores but I think 4 real ones whatever that
means.)
Total physical memory:15,705,989,120 bytes =14.63 GiB (I can double this
but I have yet to need to)

Rendering Andrew Price's Snow Scene.blend the computer newer went below 40%
free memory. I am happy with it an did not have to pay and arm and a leg
for it.

As a test I told Blender that I had 32798 cache and prefectch at 2400. I
then loaded a HD 1626 frame movie and set it to raw and played it in the
editor. It played back at about 5-6 FPS the first time and then the second
time at 24 FPS. It ate up my ram and then ate 61% of my 2.98 GB swap on the
SSD drive. I had no problems with it! :-) I can even scrub through the
movie back and forth with no delay.

Hope this little test is useful to someone. I give Blender an A+!