[Bf-committers] BGE developer meeting 2015

Arnaud Loonstra arnaud at sphaero.org
Mon Apr 6 13:36:23 CEST 2015

I've been digging in the BGE a lot in the past. It has really struck me
that there was such a lack of interest in the GameKit project. That
project is really promising. It has a generalised approach therefore it
started as IrrKit (using IrrLicht) and then moved to Ogre (OgreKit).
There were talks of doing a native OpenGL backend. The code was well
structered and easy to go through. In anyways it was very very close to
BGE and Blender. Even enabled the LogigBricks. Their fatal descision -
IMHO - was not having Python support. (only Lua) From a technical point
of view this makes sense but then you fail to take a huge existing
userbase into account. GameKit is still there, I really see no argument
for not picking up that project. Just add python support with a wrapping
bge module. Continue with OGRE (2.0 is on the way) or build a different
backend (i.e. https://github.com/bkaradzic/bgfx or GL)

Another project I don't see on the list is
Urho3d.(http://urho3d.github.io/)  This is the project I'm currently
following the most. Again no Python support but it could be added with
not too much trouble.

Yes python is not the fastest but python enables a bridge between many
worlds other then gaming. Yes Lua can do this too, but it doesn't,
period.
I also wouldn't bet my money too much on gaming. With all available
engine packages it is saturated. I don't know anybody using the BGE to
build games but I do know a lot of people who do use the BGE for other
purposes. IMHO the strength comes from 'realtime', not 'game'. Realtime
can include game but not vice versa.

I would have added this to the doc but need editing rights :)

Rg,

Arnaud