[Bf-committers] Blender developers meeting minutes - September 7, 2014
ton at blender.org
Sun Sep 7 17:28:50 CEST 2014
Here are the notes from today's 1600 CEST meeting in irc.freenode.net #blendercoders.
1) Upcoming Blender 2.72 release
- Planning did not change, today we go to "BCon4" (preparing test builds, only work on essential fixes).
- Bug tracker is down to 128 open bugs!
- Sergey Sharybin pointed at the too long list of fixes made by Gavin Howard:
Help is awesome, but it's overshooting a bit. Only mention fixes compared to the 2.71 release.
It's also good to use the format/structure as we did before. And mention proper revision range.
- Ton Roosendaal confirms that active Blender developers (2 or more commits in a Blender release in past year) can get a free Blender Conference ticket (129 euro value). Mail ton at blender.org to get this organized or to discuss whether you're eligible!
- Thomas Dinges proposes to make Cycles the standard render engine in 2.72. Meeting is a bit afraid to do that right before a release, but it can be done fright after. Ton insists on proper testing if defaults work fine then (adding primitives, new materials), and to make sure the docs are updated.
2) Other projects
- Patch for inclusion after 2.72 is out:
Input for complex east asian characters. Chinese/Japanese users please test it!
- Meeting agrees that the fracture modifier deserves a review right after the release too.
- Long discussion then happened about the state of FBX I/O. We need more help on testing here and gathering reference cases. Bastien Montagne has a (complex) patch waiting for review that might help things too.
- The bf-gamedev list will get contacted to also evaluate if there's no alternative for FBX... anyone we put on this task gets depressed mostly... Autodesk not releasing reliable format specs (and changing spec at will) makes fbx a real hard choice.
Ton Roosendaal - ton at blender.org - www.blender.org
Chairman Blender Foundation - Producer Blender Institute
Entrepotdok 57A - 1018AD Amsterdam - The Netherlands
More information about the Bf-committers