[Bf-committers] Annoucement: Better Collada Exporter for Blender!

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 10:00:46 CEST 2014

"My exporter works, period" that's only valid in context of gobot. Taking
the example above, missing materials when importing to unity i would never
call it "works, period".

I've got serious doubts full feature set is what is priority for us,
supporting 3rd party software for interchange is the priority i'd say.

I'd say just call it Gobot Exporter and put to the contrib? Once it'll have
the same compatibility level as the current exporter it could be considered
a replacement for the opencollada exporter. An no, claiming that other
engines does wrong collada is not acceptable here.

Also, having just a python exporter is not gonna to help getting away from
opencollada, for this we'll need an importer as well.

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 2:02 AM, Juan Linietsky <reduzio at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Juan, i don't expect a silver bullet and i don't even believe in this.
> But
> > 3 days ago you claimed "This plugin is very battle-tested, and files
> > written by it can be read by most DCCs and engine", now you say "You
> can't
> > write an exporter thinking that you will please every importer out
> there".
> > This two things i can't really link together. So the questions so far:
> >

> Why not? they are not mutually exclusive. The problem is that, again, you
> are expecting a silver bullet.
>
> When I claim it works, it means they can import the files, the problem is
> that Collada support in most engines and DCCs is very incomplete in
> general. If you export exactly that is supported by the importer, it works.
> If you export more, it generally doesn't, and the engine/DCC will crash and
> burn. My Collada exporter basically tries to mimic the same exporter format
> that OpenCollada Maya uses, which is why it's so compatible (as that is the
> most popular plugin used).
>
> So, if you want me to explain it in a different way, it should work as well
> as the best collada exporter it exists as the moment, but at the same time
> that's not necessarily good.
>

> > - Is current blender's importer capable of importing the exported by the
> > addon scene?
> >

> Yes, but it crashes in some scenes that use complex stuff such as
> morphs+skeletons. This is a problem of Blender's importer, not the
> exporter, as it exhibits the same behavior with other exporters (such as
> Maya Opencollada). Animations work fine, but animation clips do not work
> (which I believe are not supported anyway by the importer).
>

> > - Which engines/software are supported with the current state of the
> addon?
> >

> Tested Unity, works with most stuff but does not support clips, materials,
> etc. Unity should fix this.
> I know people used it with the Amnesia engine, and with Crytek and it
> worked pretty well.
>

> > - What are the plans about extending supported 3d party apps?
> >

> As I said before, the collada format exported is based in OpenCollada Maya,
> which is the best Collada exporter. It does not do anything weird nor
> imposes another way of exporting the format. If a 3rd party app does not
> work it's most likely the fault of that app, not because my exporter needs
> to be more compatible.
>

> > - What are the plans about importer?
> >

> None.
>

> > - Who's gonna to maintain the code?
> >

> I develop and maintain the code.
>

> > - Does someone from blender users tested the addon?
> >

> Plenty of users to export to Godot, a few other users to export to other
> engines, but they have no way to know it exists unless it's integrated as
> core. I already explained this well enough.
>

> > But maybe the biggest one to be answered first: what are the benefits for
> > blender from the current state of the addon?

> [...]

With best regards, Sergey Sharybin