[Bf-committers] Annoucement: Better Collada Exporter for Blender!

Juan Linietsky reduzio at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 21:21:31 CEST 2014

Sergey Sharybin:

   Glad to know the top priority of Blender in regards to Collada is to
export correctly to Second Life. You are starting to make me think if I'm
not really wasting my time here.
   The point of supporting Collada, in my view, is not about competing
against other formats such as FBX (which is the industry standard), but
simply being able to output as much information as possible to game engines
in a format that is open. It doesn't matter if there is no gold standard.
As long as the format exported is correct and the exporter outputs the
necessary information, then it's the responsibility of those who produce
the importers to ensure the data is read. Aiming for "compatibility" as
priority should not be a goal.
   This is especially useful for open source game engines and applications
that can't use FBX due to license restrictions, or implementers who don't
want to deal with such a complex format.

Juan