[Bf-committers] OpenGEX in Blender

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Wed Oct 8 15:57:52 CEST 2014

Hi Juan,

You've mailed me in july about this too, and I've invited you to add this to our patch tracker and get reviews.

Back in 2012 you also submitted code, and there was a whole lengthy discussion about it. For some reason nobody gave code feedback. However, you said that you wouldn't have time to support it or maintain it, which might explain a lack of enthusiasm.

That's just the main problem with Collada - it has no stakeholders, nobody to maintain or fix it or to keep code work. So even if you have "perfectly functioning" code. I would rather see someone who's around to make sure it's "perfectly maintained" instead. You know - for Blender it's about users. It's the damn users!

I don't know if OpenGEX is anything better, but before I would look into it I'd rather see stakeholders getting involved there first. And I mean game studios, game makers, engine coders. That's why my twitter message.

-Ton-

Chairman Blender Foundation - Producer Blender Institute