[Bf-committers] Cycles as Default Engine

Martijn Berger martijn.berger at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 08:22:36 CEST 2014

It is only the default setting, most existing blender users will not ever
notice any change as they are likely to have a startup file that is tuned
to their liking.
This mostly applies to users who are new to blender. In that category there
are 2 groups for both of which I think you could argue that cycles is a
better default.

New to 3d software in general users. I would think this group is rather
young and likely to find or be pointed to online tutorials. While their
objective for starting blender might vary wildly I would still think that
given the fact that the tutorial making people are not crazy and following
the general trend the chances that they want to invest in learning cycles
to start with versus learning internal ( yes you do need to learn stuff
there) are so skewed in favour of cycles that it being the default makes
sense.

Migrating users from other software packages. Here I think the default is
less important as in most packages I know advanced users will have to
change a few settings anyway. I would expect this group to find the setting
soon enough and figure out how to save these preferences. Still you could
very well argue that some of these people might try Blender because of
cycles and that that group is likely bigger then the people who leave other
software to test this awesome new render engine called "Internal" in
blender.

In the end both engines no matter how cool they are are not perfect and
guiding this discussion towards an if cycles can only do x,y,z it could
become the default is obscuring the real issue.
None of us can really see through the eyes of a true new user any more and
we actually need that perspective to actually serve the group that this is
likely to impact the most.

I think the argument Brecht raises on consistency is a very valid and
important argument for cycles as a default for both classes of new users.
And while I think the arguments about in and exporters are important to I
really feel even without addressing that cycles is likely the better
default.