[Bf-committers] BioBlender AddOn

Monica Zoppè mzoppe at ifc.cnr.it
Fri Nov 28 14:22:45 CET 2014

Dear Blender Developers,

I am writing following the Blender Conference in which, some of you
may remember, I made an appeal for help with BioBlender, since
unfortunately our group has dissolved, due to end of funding.
However, I constantly receive requests from people attempting to use
it, meaning that the program is welcome in the community of biologists.

Having more or less understood what means 'open repository', I am
prepared to perform the necessary steps.
However, I am a total newcomer, and I would greatly appreciate any suggestion.

To frame the request, please read the following.

BioBlender was initially developed by our group (SciVis), with the
contribution of Mike Pan, as a special version of Blender capable of
dealing with molecules, which are complex object, composed of many
(up to thousands) atoms, each one connected in a specific way to some
others. This was a branch of Blender 2.5 (patched, called BioBlender
V0.6, available <http://www.bioblender.eu/download/>here)
A couple of years ago, we decided to make an AddOn, and developed
BioBlender 1.0 (can download <http://www.bioblender.eu/download/>here)

That's where the problems are:
1. Proteins with more than few hundreds atoms take forever to build,
due to the updating of the dependency graph each time an atom is added.
2. MLP (Molecular lipopohilic potential) cannot be mapped to the
mesh, because the vertices are not listed (this I am not sure I
perfectly understand).

In the meantime, we wanted to add some more features to BioBlender,
first of all the capability of  importing and handling two molecular
objects in  an independent way in the same scene. This led to
BioBlender 2.0 which does provide some additional features, but still
has the same problems of BB 1.

We (myself and Davide) are willing to do whatever it takes, as long
as my interventions are likely to solve problems, rather than creating ones :)
Given my background and preparation, I am not sure how much that will
be, but rest assured that i will do my best.
Thanks in advance

Monica and Davide