[Bf-committers] Contributing to Blender

Yuri Kovelenov yuri at blend4web.com
Thu Nov 27 13:13:02 CET 2014

Dear Blender developers,

Ton has provided me guidance to contact you via this mailing list, so I
partially reproduce my e-mail I first sent to him.

I present Blend4Web (https://www.blend4web.com/) - an open source (GPL
v3) Blender-based 3D web framework. I'm happy to inform you that our
team has grown enough to assign two of our programmers to Blender
development.

We hope that our work will allow the wonderful Blender community to
render models and scenes interactively on web pages independently on any
web services.

As Blend4Web is a real-time renderer, it appears that it should rely
mostly on Blender viewport features. For this reason we are looking for
ways to improve the viewport's functionality and performance. We have
started to submit patches
(https://developer.blender.org/search/query/vudNATDz_e4c/#R). Some of
them are just bug fixes, other fill the gaps between the Blender
viewport and other Blender renderers such as Cycles and internal
renderer. During our work we are also discovering and reporting other
issues that are not directly related to the viewport.

So far two patches have been accepted and merged
(https://developer.blender.org/D781 and
https://developer.blender.org/D842). Thanks Brecht, Antony! And one
patch was also respected by Sergei who had implemented the fix
(https://developer.blender.org/D859). Other patches are still waiting
for review.

Our programmers (Valentin Dontsov
https://developer.blender.org/p/valentin_b4w/ and Alexander Romanov
https://developer.blender.org/p/a.romanov/) are just starting to
participate in Blender development. Our team needs some coordination and
feedback from you in order to effectively plan and implement various
features and improvements. I fully understand that you guys are very
busy with current development. However I believe that our developers can
help the Blender project a lot given they are provided with proper
assistance.

We are not planning to implement any Blend4Web-specific features, but
only those that will be useful for every Blender user who need to create
the content for real-time rendering.

After speaking with Ton and after some internal discussions we got the
idea on how our work could be set up. What if we present you a list of
features and bug fixes we would like to see in Blender, and you discuss
and select those of them to which a green light could be given? That
would prevent us from implementing the features that are not aligned to
your roadmap. Looking forward for your feedback!

Regards,

Yuri

--
Yuri Kovelenov

Development Lead
yuri at blend4web.com
+7 495 676 3660

Blend4Web - an open source framework for creating 3D web apps
http://www.blend4web.com/en/
Triumph LLC | Moscow, Russian Federation

Ковеленов Юрий Александрович

Руководитель отдела разработки
yuri at blend4web.com
+7 (495) 676-36-60

Blend4Web - открытая платформа для создания 3D веб-приложений
http://www.blend4web.com/ru/
ООО Триумф | Москва, Россия