[Bf-committers] Blender building software

Bjørnar Frøyse bjornar24 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 11:05:40 CET 2014

I had some trouble setting it up on Windows, even after reading the guide
several times over.
I am not a software developer per se, but I am familiar with many aspects
of the process.
Compiling my own source was a completely new experience.

My main misunderstanding was that I did not get/understand the relationship
between Cmake and VS.
I did not know that I had to generate a solution using Cmake (I had no idea
what Cmake was,
and the info on their site was, understandably, geared towards people who
already know what it is).

This might fall under programming 101, and might not be something that you
should need
to cover on the wiki. (It might even work as a filter for people who are in
over their head.)

Right now, there's so much info on the page (refering to the Windows page
here:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Doc/Building_Blender/Windows/msvc/CMake
)
that it's hard to make out what part is the important one to get started,
at least for
someone new to compiling in general.

Having the default standard build process highlighted and defined in a few
numbered steps
would have been a much clearer starting point for me.

That's my two cents on the matter.