[Bf-committers] Propose to reduce default feature set (*nix dev builds)

Simon Repp simon at fdpl.foundation
Thu Nov 13 22:00:11 CET 2014

When I switched from Ubuntu to Fedora it took me about 2 weeks on and
off to get a successful build again, afterwards I had a full working
build but I was 50% down on motivation and 100% out of free time for
that month to get into actual coding again. Who knows what would have
happened in those two weeks if I had actually coded? (and afterwards in
that altered timeline ...!?)

In that sense I really like the idea, though I would prefer the inverse
implementation: 'make' for the full build, 'make simple' (or so) as a
(prominently documented!!) simpler way for dev newcomers to have at hand
if the full build process is discouraging or blocking actual development.

I suggest the inverse implementation because sometimes building the full
thing actually works like a charm (it did for me on Ubuntu), so you'd
get the full thing for free in that case - and initially failing and
retrying can also lead to important discoveries, for instance my 2 week
odyssey to building Blender on Fedora actually revealed a major bug in
the dependency installer script, which I could fix together with
mont29's help then.

Either way it's implemented, thumbs up, I like it!!