[Bf-committers] Propose to reduce default feature set (*nix dev builds)

AIBlender aiblender at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 16:14:57 CET 2014

On 13/11/14 14:32, Sergey Sharybin wrote:
> Addressing this: >> I understand the reasoning behind it Sergey, but if new
> people want to build Blender they should get something which is approaching
> a feature complete build, otherwise what is the point of using a Dev build.
>
> Why would motion tracker developer want to deal with LLVM? Why new modifier
> guy would want to deal with Boost? Why compositor or dependency graph guys
> need to worry about any of external dependencies? This could be continued..
>
> For sure at some point developer would need to be able to compile
> feature-complete blender, but forcing him to solve all the dependencies
> from the very beginning is really scary for new developers.

If for every new dev you started turning off features because they get
confused you end up with a very limited version of Blender.

Any dev working on advanced features should be able to compile full
versions of Blender, and that Ideally should be because a seasoned Dev
has made Blender work with all feature enabled out of the box.

Errors when features are turned back on are going to get reported and
need fixing anyways, so may as well keep it working from the very
beginning with all features on.

Anyways my point is clear on this, sorry if it come across as aggressive
but, turning off features is just hiding problems, and for people like
me it will just mean I turn the features back on a complain a lot more
forcefully if I get errors that run out of control because some feature
was disabled because of some "scared" dev.

Terry Wallwork