[Bf-committers] SDL library upgrade

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 14:24:11 CET 2014

Hi,

This is actually coming from a conversation with Martijn about switching to
SDL-2.0 on Windows, but we need to make everyone informed.

So basically the need of upgrade on Windows is caused by some issues
happening with SDL-1.2 (which is currently used for all platforms) on
Windows 8. So switching to SDL-2.0 would make more windows users happy with
blender.

But we need to keep libraries in sync for the release, which means OSX and
Linux maintainers would need to do modifications to the release environment
and libraries. It shouldn't be hard, because SDL-2.0 was out for quite some
time now and Blender itself is totally ready for it.

So the proposal would be:

- Martijn takes care of SDL-2.0 on Windows. If needed Sergey helps him.
- Jens would need to take care of OSX
- Sergey takes care of Linux builds, for this we'll need to finish the SDL
wrangler patch (which makes SDL libraries load on runtime and if library is
not found Blender still works, just doesn't allow to use SDL for sound and
joystick).

What does it mean for artists? Well, for OSX and Windows they wouldnt' see
any difference (apart from some some solved issues). Neither those who runs
existing builds, nor those who compiles blender themselves.

For Linux users it'll mean in order to use SDL (sound and joystick) SDL2 is
to be installed. If this library is not installed, blender WILL run, just
wouldn't let use SDL functionality. This doesn't seem difficult to install
if needed, even for current Debian stable (which tends to be quite old)
there's an official backport for SDL2.

--
With best regards, Sergey Sharybin