[Bf-committers] Cycles Progressive Refinement Checkbox Tooltip *somewhat* ambiguous

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 11:49:46 CET 2014

Brecht, it's multiple factors being involved here, starting from CPU cache
coherence issues (which we can't easily predict) ending with less efficient
buffers update (we might be saving all the passes after each of the samples
in case of progressive refine, which we can fix).

But yeah, should have asked for a demo file in the original file :) So do
you guys have a demo .blend file which demonstrates such a major slowdown?

Brecht, we can (and actually should) do several samples per tile, but i'd
prefer log(). not sqrt() perhaps. Other idea to improve cache coherence
would be to use left-to-right, bottom-to-top tile scheduling. That gives
few %% of speedup, and AFAIR we don't fallback to such a scheduling in
progressive refine.

And even after the tweaks, we should probably replace "somewhat" to
something more deterministic in the tooltip.