[Bf-committers] Normal Map issue.

metalliandy metalliandy666 at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 6 00:00:16 CET 2014

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply. I want to stress that mirroring normal maps
without error should be perfectly possible and has been since 2.57 iirc.
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Shading/Tangent_Space_Normal_Maps

Here are some screenshots of perfectly mirrored normal maps, which have
been rendered in Cycles and BI. This case has most amount of mirroring
that is possible so as you can see it works perfectly well :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2057427/Blender/Blender_Normal_Map_Mirror_1.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2057427/Blender/Blender_Normal_Map_Mirror_2.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2057427/Blender/Blender_Normal_Map_Mirror_BI.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2057427/Blender/Blender_Normal_Map_Mirror_Cycles.jpg

The last thing we want to do is propagate the idea that people need to
flip channels or do anything crazy like that in order to get it working
correctly, as it should work perfectly out of the box.
If you are finding that you do need to flip channels then it is either
simple user error or a massive bug that should be reported along with a
.blend file so that devs. can reproduce the error. As it stands I cannot
reproduce such an error.

Can you point me to one of the thread where people are talking about
this please?

Cheers,

-Andy