[Bf-committers] New Modifier : Morph Target

k k kkmlist at yandex.com
Tue May 27 17:13:43 CEST 2014

Daniel

Originally I wanted to integrate the SK to modifier system (because it is just much more flexible that way). The shapekeys is  a modifier too, however it looked too embedded in the internals of Blender (at least to me ). That is why I thought I should work on a fresh and a simpler one. I am not a full time seasoned coder, I am an artist first so my understanding of the Blender internals is not as deep as our devs. They might have a different take on the issue.

The Shapekey stuff keeps data about morphs and might have other features that MTM does not have.  That is why I do not think that having a secondary modifier that achieves the similar thing is not so strange to be honest. This way it can evolve into something else, something more general purpose as well, while SK can stay as it is or integrate new features around the original premise.

We actually might want SK to stay where it is, because in some cases it is going to be more useful than MTM. For example it is going to be easier to deal with it when keying  a lot of morph shapes just because of the interfacing. MTM can be used just for that purpose too but doing hundreds of morphs is going to be just more efficient with the SK system in terms of cpu cycles and keying  in my view.

As I mentioned in my op I am thinking to integrate things like vertex color morphing, weight morhing(copy weights from another mesh), and other vertex level mesh properties into this modifier later which is not necessarily the domain of SK system. Morphing in SK context means just shapes. However I want to take this a bit further and make it as blending any kind of property that a mesh component can hold with this modifier  At the moment MTM conveniently blends "positions". So a name change can be eminent to be more concise.

I hope it makes sense

cheers

kursad

cheers