[Bf-committers] Why can't blender delete directories?

gandalf3 zzyxpaw at gmail.com
Mon May 26 08:33:33 CEST 2014

On 05/25/14 17:18, Campbell Barton wrote:
> On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 9:55 AM, gandalf3 <zzyxpaw at gmail.com> wrote:
>> What is the reason blender can't (or won't) delete directories?
>> Is there a technical limitation?
>> Or is this a design decision?
>>
>> If it's not a technical issue, what is the reasoning behind this?
>>
>> --
>> -gandalf3
> Recursive delete isn't implemented on windows, though there is a patch
> to resolve this.
> see: https://developer.blender.org/D531
>
> I'm not aware of some official rationale for this, but it moves to
> making Blender a full fledged file-manager, (should we add ability to
> copy/move files & directories too?).
>
> Currently we only have a few simple operations which are convenient
> for managing texture & blend file names, but for more advanced
> operations I think its better if we don't attempt to be a real
> file-manager.
> Other devs may have different opinions on this though.
Thanks for the response :)

I can understand that becoming  a full fledged file manager (with
copy/paste) is not a priority/todo for blender (nor should it be), but
no directory deletion can be annoying when a directory is created from
blender accidentally (e.g. to name one case, a mis-click when naming a
new directory)

-gandalf3