[Bf-committers] Why can't blender delete directories?

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Mon May 26 02:18:54 CEST 2014

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 9:55 AM, gandalf3 <zzyxpaw at gmail.com> wrote:
> What is the reason blender can't (or won't) delete directories?
> Is there a technical limitation?
> Or is this a design decision?
>
> If it's not a technical issue, what is the reasoning behind this?
>
> --
> -gandalf3

Recursive delete isn't implemented on windows, though there is a patch
to resolve this.
see: https://developer.blender.org/D531

I'm not aware of some official rationale for this, but it moves to
making Blender a full fledged file-manager, (should we add ability to
copy/move files & directories too?).

Currently we only have a few simple operations which are convenient
for managing texture & blend file names, but for more advanced
operations I think its better if we don't attempt to be a real
file-manager.
Other devs may have different opinions on this though.