[Bf-committers] Thoughts on possible future merge of full body ik solver into trunk?

Harrison Nordby fishcreekblend at gmail.com
Sun May 25 20:53:48 CEST 2014

Hi everyone, my name is Harrison Nordby. My brother, Ross, wrote
BEPUphysics, an open source physics library for C#.
http://www.bepuphysics.com/

We decided that blender was the best solution for creating our game's
content. So, I integrated BEPUik (a full body inverse kinematics library)
into my custom build of blender.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG3uKYQTVj4

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Squashwell

I've used a few sloppy hacks to get it situated. Even so, it does "work."

Would the blender foundation be interested in something like this for trunk?

Are there plans to "node-ify" rigging? If so, I think it would be a good
idea to wait until then to integrate BEPUik.  My current implementation
places BEPUik constraints on the constraint stack, but this isn't analogous
to how BEPUik constraints work. Conceptually, BEPUik constraints are
evaluated simultaneously.

Also, I've hard coded the solving order like this:
Animation data -> Solve All bepuik constraints -> Solve other blender
constraints

This is an arbitrary ordering, and it "works" in most cases, however there
are places where it doesn't give as good effect as it could. A proper
implementation of nodal rigging would give the user the ability to define
these arbitrary relationships.

There are a lot of other areas to discuss, but I'll leave it there for now;
thanks for your time.