[Bf-committers] Do drivers have to be blocked as python scripts?

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sun May 25 10:48:04 CEST 2014

On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 6:19 PM, Chad Fraleigh <chadf at triularity.org> wrote:
> On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 12:34 AM, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 7:21 AM, Chad Fraleigh <chadf at triularity.org> wrote:
>> > Just wondering.. has anyone out there wrote a python interpreter *in*
>> > python that has security/sandbox functionality/hooks? Then it could offer
>> > the option (as another user selectable security level) of "secure but
>> > slow", which might be adequate for simple or non-intensively called
>> > scripts. Since it would be a python script itself, it would/should be
>> > portable across the underlying implementation.
>> >
>> > Depending on the features of such a hypothetical library/module, if the
>> > parsed expression tree can be checked and determined to be simple (i.e.
>> no
>> > field assignments, no arbitrary function calls, etc..) and known safe, it
>> > could be then be directly eval'd by the real python and not just
>> emulated.
>> > Essentially a variation of one of the ideas previously mentioned in this
>> > thread.
>> >

>> > -Chad
>>
>> Someone has done just this:
>>
>>  http://pypy.org
>>

>> Which also provides a sand-boxed execution environment to prevent
>> scripts doing things you may want to prevent:
>>
>>  http://pypy.readthedocs.org/en/latest/sandbox.html
>>

> But that seems to be just another implementation of python at the binary
> library level.

> What I meant was a python language interpreter that is
> written purely in python code itself,

Thats what pypy is, but in practice its not so useful since its not
intended to remain embedded in cpython (even if it would work somehow,
pypy's sandbox runs in a subprocess, which adds complications).

> which will run on top of the existing
> python runtime that blender uses (not replace it). It would need to only
> support the parsing of scripts, access checking/hooks, and the minimum
> execution of the language itself.

You could almost do this with the `ast` module, the problem is you
can't know what the script actually does until it executes.

> Since it would run on top of the real
> python, any standard modules needed would be done by delegating it to the
> underlying ones (so it would have a very minimalistic runtime).

Having a python interpreter written in python as you are suggesting is
possible, but I think it would be a lot of work and very slow and I
think even in this case it would be difficult to be secure unless you
restrict the drivers to arithmetic and a handful of math functions.

> -Chad

- Campbell