[Bf-committers] Do drivers have to be blocked as python scripts?

patrick boelens p_boelens at msn.com
Fri May 23 21:50:54 CEST 2014

Imho doing something like this will only worsen the situation. Right now a lot of .blends fail entirely, leaving many users to wonder why. This sucks. If we were to allow *some* expressions, but not others, potentially only half a .blend will fail. This sucks even more.

At least when everything breaks it's clear there is an underlying reason; whether that is a user preference as is the case here, a bug in Blender or an unsupported version or whatever. At least more experienced users may quickly realize they did not allow script execution for this .blend. If only, say, one out of ten drivers fail, I would imagine it being tempting to go look for the cause of this at the drivers themselves; perhaps someone accidentally made a typo in an expression?

I'm not sure if this has been proposed before, but would it be possible to show a pop-up when opening a (external) .blend file for the first time? Something similar to what OSX does when opening a freshly downloaded app or document:

"This .blend was created on another machine and contains executable code that could be harmful. Do you wish to allow Blender to execute these scripts?"

[Yes | No]

It wouldn't solve the issue for render farms, but would at least provide clearity (as well as a much improved sense of control!) to the user.

Just my two cents.

Cheers,
Patrick