[Bf-committers] Do drivers have to be blocked as python scripts?

Jonas Wielicki j.wielicki at sotecware.net
Fri May 23 13:58:33 CEST 2014

On 23.05.2014 13:53, Greg Zaal wrote:
> Another silly idea: what if we leave this feature on, but only for paths
> that include the word "download" in addition to the user-defined folders in
> the preferences?
> Or keep a history of trusted authors (computer name or ip) and check if the
> author of a blend has been trusted before?

Think of a path like "download/../". This issue canont be fixed
trivially. You cannot sandbox Python easily. The only way out of that
mess would be for render farms to, e.g. put the render in some LXC (or
other) container and deny it network access. Burn down the container
after the work is done and you’re quite safe.

This is nothing blender can fix. It is a kind of a limitation of the
python language (note that PyPy, for example, offers ways to allow
sandboxing, but many libraries won’t work with PyPy and embedding is
totally different, so I assume that blender won’t move to PyPy in the
next decade).

regards,
Jonas

disclaimer: not a blender developer. just my five cents.