[Bf-committers] API comments (doxygen use?)

Joshua Leung aligorith at gmail.com
Mon May 12 06:07:21 CEST 2014

Hi Campbell,

My position on these matters is as follows:
  1) IMO, the syntax in question has clear benefits [1] over most of
the other documentation/markup techniques
available now. Obviously I am biased about this. Having said that,
barring compelling alternatives, I maintain
the view that this should see widespread adoption (and not just by Blender).

  2) Absolutely **anything** is better than using Doxygen. Sphinx too
falls victim to some of the very issues
that plague Doxygen, though at least tags are more easily discernable
there. Nevertheless, between C++ and
Doxygen, C++ doesn't look all that bad all of a sudden, and that's
saying quite a lot.

  3) The "introduction" of this into Blender's source code is not a
particularly new development. In particular,
it predates both the forced introduction of extensive Doxygen markup
into various headers AND the creation
of those particular style guides.

  4) Regarding "automated documentation generation systems" - I'm not
a big fan of generating piles of disembodied HTML
files, complete with elaborate formatting either. IMO, "code
documentation" should be exactly that: documentation
*about* the code, that is meant to be read *in* the code, by coders
*working on* (or using) said code. Anything which
attempts to go beyond that by adding frivolous fluff (i.e. full HTML
styling flexibility, formatting instructions for
controlling how some markup processor formats the content for display
in another medium, and clutter introduced by
adding "hints" for said dumb processor to recognise links) is
unnecessary clutter which detracts from the real purpose
of doing this in the first place. Doxygen and co fail miserably on
this front; they are focussed on the wrong problem
(i.e. that of "making life easy for the machine") instead of serving
the true audience that these tools were meant to
be serving (i.e. "us") all along.

The syntax + system in question here is thus orientated first and
foremost towards providing a structured way for
coders to note down important information about their code - in
particular, clarifying and communicating things for
which the underlying languages have no notation for (e.g. the
input/output roles of function arguments, ranges and limits on numeric
parameters, types of parameters for dynamically/untyped languages
including Python and C-Macros, and semantic meanings of different
parameter values) and also for drawing attention to critical concerns
that callers of the code should
be aware of (which can get lost in long textual descriptions, as is
common with just purely plain text methods). Compared
the verbosity of other developer-orientated techniques such as
NaturalDoc or TomDoc, the syntax here tries to achieve a
balance between clarity/readability and compactness (as the focus
should still be on the actual code) by using structure and
iconography to communicate common structural concepts and information,
allowing users to dedicate more time to focussing on
the actual quirks that the documentation is supposed to be pointing
out. Perhaps the only downside to this system at the moment
is that it currently lacks the parsing/processing backend (though
building one should not be a challenge should the need arise),
as having standalone HTML docs was never a primary concern at any
stage in its development.

Regards,
Joshua

Links: