[Bf-committers] Auto Run Python scripts

patrick boelens p_boelens at msn.com
Sun May 11 01:16:13 CEST 2014

I know this has been discussed in length before, but I couldn't agree more with Daniel; only loading half files is a terrible idea. Even with more clarity to the end-user this seems like an unnecessary difficulty. The only way I could see this working is if there would be an explicit, non-ignorable popup that would say something along the lines of:

"This file contains Python scripts that are set to be executed automatically (FancyScript.py, SomePanel.py). Allow? [YES | NO]"

upon opening a .blend file. But even that would be annoying, especially to those less well-versed in Blender (i.e.: clients).

I understand the issues of security, but perhaps there is some other, less drastic route we could take? Perhaps changing the default setting for this? How do other apps like Maya handle this?

Cheers,
Patrick